We’re living longer, healthier lives nowadays, and there’s no reason that shouldn’t include our oral health. Our teeth are made to last a lifetime, and our friendly dentist at Caring Dental wants our patients to enjoy all the benefits of a healthy smile at any age! We welcome our senior patients and work with them to ensure their golden years are brightened by optimal oral health.
Visiting our office regularly for a checkup and professional cleaning, brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and flossing each day are Standard Operating Procedure for everyone. But as we age, there are some additional considerations to keep in mind.
Here are a few of issues worth keeping track of:
- Our gums recede as we age, exposing parts of our teeth that aren’t protected by enamel. This can result in sensitivity to hot or cold food and beverages. Consider trying an anti-sensitivity toothpaste. If that doesn’t help, you may have a cavity or fractured tooth, so please contact our office.
- Our oral health can be affected by medical conditions including cancer, heart disease or diabetes. Make sure to let us know about health conditions so we can take them into consideration during treatment.
- Medications can potentially cause dry mouth, which can lead to permanent tooth damage if not addressed. Talk to our dentist for solutions for this common problem.
- Dentures must be properly cared for to keep problems from arising such as mouth irritation and trouble eating and speaking. Our dentist provides special care and instructions to our patients who are long-term denture wearers.
- Gum disease is an increasing risk as we age due to health conditions and medications. Regular checkups are the best way to catch this early.
Our dentist at Caring Dental is here for you, no matter your age! Let us know about any health concerns during your next visit. Contact us today for an appointment!
By Caring Dental Associates
July 25, 2023